Thursday, April 28, 2011

Who discovered the vampire squid?




This man above is a German marine biologist, named Carl Chun. He went on an expedition on 1898 deep in the subantartic seas. He searched around for five years untill 1903. In 1903 Carl discovered and named the vampire squid.

The is the creature that he first saw(pic to the right). He mistaken this creature as an octopuss due to the legs. Later on the two filaments were discovered under folds of the webs that connect the legs.

I bet you already know why he named it the vampire squid. But for those who dont know, it was because when he caught it, it was all black with red eyes and a pure white beak. just like in the picture. Plus it was spotted deep in the abyss, hence the "from hell" part.


What do you think of this? How will you go by naming this creature if you discovered it?

3 comments:

  1. I think he got the name spot on =) I know i would be scared and also curious of this creature if i found it deep sea diving. All of those creatures down there are so interesting looking. Its body shape and the red eye does give it that evil aspect just like a vampire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a freaky little creature there. I do think he named it correctly. I can see why he named it the vampire squid. I find this freaky yet interesting. Love the red eyes ! I will be looking up more on this squid, I am hoping to find more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know the squid was actually black with red eyes. The name suits it well. I would go about naming a creature I discovered by comparing it to other creatures I am familiar with. I would name it by what it looks like or what it's primary function is.

    ReplyDelete